You may have heard that sex burns calories, but it's not all that true. According to the Associated Press, researchers found that the only evidence supporting that claim was a study conducted on 10 men in 1984, which found that sex lasted six minutes on average and they only burned 21 calories.
A more recent report, published January 31 in the New England Journal of Medicine debunked the notion that sex is a good way to burn calories.
But that's no reason to slow down your sex life. There are so many other benefits for having sex. Like this list:
1. It (hopefully) feels good. If your sexual chemistry is ah-mazing, you're definitely going to enjoy sex with the person you're sleeping with. So you know you're bound to have a great time.
2. Just thinking about sex is good for your brain. Researcher Jens Förster in 2009 found that individuals who thought about sex performed better in critical thinking tasks than those who didn't. 3. You might live longer! According to Duke Longitudinal Studies data published in 1993, men who have sex more often lived longer, and women who said they enjoy their sex lives lived seven to eight years longer than those who were indifferent about their sex lives. So have sex and live long! 4. It reduces pain. When you have sex, your body releases a hormone called Oxytocin, which is a natural painkiller. In 1985, sexologist Beverly Whipple found that after orgasming, women's "pain tolerance threshold and pain detection threshold increased significantly by 74.6 percent and 106.7 percent respectively."
5. It's a stress reliever! Psychologist Stuart Brody conducted a study in February 2006 that found people who had recently had sex had lower blood pressure in stressful situation than those who hadn't.
6. Sex keeps you looking young. A 2002 study conducted by David Weeks of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital found that couples who had sex 3 times a week or more looked 10 years younger than the average adult who had sex twice a week or less. Weeks told BBC News: "Pleasure derived from sex is a crucial factor in preserving youth. It makes us happy and produces chemicals telling us so." 7. It boosts your immunity. Researchers at Wilkes University in 2004 found that individuals who had sex once or twice a week showed higher levels of the antibody immunoglobulin A (IgA) than those who had sex less frequently. IgA plays an important role in protecting the body from illnesses. So more sex = fewer colds! 8. You'll sleep better.. According to Laura Berman, director of the Berman Center for Women's Sexual Health, the endorphins released during sex can help you get a good night's sleep.
9. Condoms won't get in the way of your fun. In January 2013, researchers at Indiana University suggested that sex with condoms could be just as satisfying as sex without.
Planning a wedding can be an exhilarating yet challenging journey. From selecting the perfect venue to curating a guest list such as Cancun destination wedding, there are numerous decisions to make. While the process is exciting, it's essential to be aware of potential pitfalls that can turn your dream day into a stressful affair. Read more
Interest earned on your savings account doesn't just go straight into your pocket. Like other sources of income, you may owe taxes depending on your earnings and circumstances. Here's what you need to know about taxes and your savings account interest in India. Read more
Being a bride is an exciting time as you plan one of the most important days of your life. From choosing the venue and catering to deciding on flowers and your wedding dress, there are many elements to consider. An important part of your wedding party is selecting bridesmaid dresses. The right dresses can help your bridal party look polished and put together while complementing your wedding theme and vision. This article will discuss how to elevate your bridal party look with stylish bridesmaid dresses in Australia. Read more