Software is a general term for the various types of programs used to operate computers and related devices. Programs enable human interaction with a computer and provide it with convenience and functionality.
A computer consists of two equally important components, hardware and software. Software, unlike hardware, can be considered a replaceable part of a computer. Software is subdivided into:
● Basic level (firmware) - drivers.
● Operating systems (OS) - a set of programs that provide interaction of other programs with basic programs and hardware.
● Service level - programs included in the OS.
The application level - provides the performance of specific tasks on the computer: anti-virus, scientific, entertainment, and others. For example, text and graphic editors, file managers, WEB editors, data archives, and WEB browsers. All of these can be downloaded on piratesbay
Tool/Service (programming systems) - Software designed to be used during the architecture, development, updating, and installation of programs. Examples are development environments.
Additionally, utilities and applets are distinguished. Utilities - small useful programs with limited functions. Some utilities come with operating systems. Like programs, utilities are usually installed separately and can be used independently of the rest of the operating system. Applets sometimes come with the operating system as auxiliary applications. They can also be created independently while using Java or other programming languages.
Any software product must be tested to identify defects and errors made during the software engineering stage. Software testing
is the verification of whether the actual results are as expected. The process involves running and executing a software component or a system component to evaluate one or more properties.
Software testing also helps detect gaps or missing features against actual requirements. This can either be done manually or with automated tools.
Automating the Development Process
Tooling software or programming systems are tools for automating the process of developing new programs and maintaining them using a programming language. To create a program in any programming language, you need to use the following components:
1. Text editor (creates a file with the source code of the program).
2. A compiler or interpreter to translate the text into intermediate object code. The source code of a large program consists of several such files-codes.
3. An assembler that performs the merging of object modules. It forms a workable application - executable code - a complete program that can be run on any computer with an appropriate operating system. As a rule, the resulting file has the extension .exe
The most popular visual design editors are Borland C++ Builder - a tool for developing Microsoft DOS and Windows applications.
Examples of Software Types
Here are some examples of different types of software, analyzing their function, form, and purpose:
1. iOS. This is the software that Apple relies on to develop its operating systems for its mobile devices, be they smartphones or tablets. Therefore, it is a payment system software that is supported by the Swift programming language.
2. Raised Text. This is software that allows you to edit text with a special feature aimed at programming. It is then free and freeware for programming. Text editors can be developed in almost any programming language, so they are very versatile in that sense.
Types of Software According to Your Purpose
Five types of software individually identify them according to the type of code and purpose:
● With Payment. This type of software is provided after payment of the sale price.
● Free. Free software is software that can be obtained without any monetary cost, meaning it can be purchased for free.
● Free Open Source Software. Software that is open to change by the user.
● Advertised. This type of software is usually available for free, but in return, it shows you ads to generate revenue.
● Demo mods. Software that is freely available for a certain period.
Differences Between OS and Computer Software
Before delving into the types of software according to their form and purpose, we should distinguish between two large groups of software for computer systems. By operating system, we mean the digital brain of the device. This makes each of the tasks on the device possible, be they applications or programs of any type. On the other hand, a computer program cannot be executed without an operating system, which is used to allow us to open the program.