A cipher is a method for encrypting messages to keep them safe from prying eyes. But thanks to the internet, this decades-old family mystery has finally been revealed:

Posted a thread on Ask Metafilter titled "Decoding cancer-addled ramblings", here's an explanation on the cipher's back story:
My grandmother passed away in 1996 of a fast-spreading cancer. She was non-communicative her last two weeks, but in that time, she left at least 20 index cards with scribbled letters on them. My cousins and I were between 8-10 years old at the time, and believed she was leaving us a code. We puzzled over them for a few months trying substitution ciphers, and didn't get anywhere.
It only took Metafilter user harperpitt 15 minutes to figure out an important clue:
Was she a religious woman? The last As, as well as the AAA combo, make me think of "Amen, amen, amen." So extrapolating -- TYAGF = "Thank you Almighty God for..."

It would make sense to end with "Thank you, Almighty God, for everything, Amen - Thank you, Almighty God, for everything, Amen, Amen, Amen."
It was soon revealed that the message comprised of the first letters of words from a prayer:
AGH, YES! Sorry for the double post, but:

OFWAIHHBTNTKCTWBDOEAIIIHFUTDODBAFUOT
AWFTWTAUALUNITBDUFEFTITKTPATGFAEA

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name... etc etc etc
Be sure to read the whole fascinating thread here.