The 90s had some pretty great hits, except, you'd probably never expected them to hold some sort of deep dark meaning. The 90s was a pretty dark time with bands masking their lyrics to represent drug addiction, depression, and more.

Here are some of them and the meaning behind some of your favorite hits.

1. "Slide" by Goo Goo Dolls

"Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls -- it's about a young couple dealing with an unexpected pregnancy.

2. "Waterfalls" by TLC

Illegal drug trade and the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Not just another pop song.

3. "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind

Crystal meth addiction. But the song had such a nice tune!

4. "Barbie Girl" by Aqua

It depicts the proletariat abuse perpetrated by the bourgeoisie in a capitalist system, using the Barbie doll as a metaphor. Man these artists are deep.

5. "Come to My Window" by Melissa Ethridge

Not a love song, but about the heartache and torture of a relationship that's decaying and slipping away.

6. "No Rain" by Blind Melon

"No Rain" by Blind Melon is about depression -- pure, simple, unadulterated depression.

7. "Good" by Better Than Ezra

You come home and find your partner has left without a trace. And you were singing to it.

8. "Laid" by James

The ravings of a tortured soul trapped in a seriously unhealthy, dysfunctional relationship.

9. "MMMBop" by Hanson

How can this have any dark meaning? If you listen to the verses in between the "MMMBops," you'll hear the teens talking about the brevity of friendships and how very few of them actually last. And if you play it backwards....

10. "Steal My Sunshine" by Len

"Steal My Sunshine" is a song about depression, and how another person can "steal your sunshine" making you feel even worse.

11. "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve

"Bittersweet Symphony" is a song about feeling powerless. Though its tune suggests otherwise.