Everybody loves free gifts. I mean, why not. It's free and you don't have to go to great lengths to win it. You just need to click on a link, like it, and share it with your friends. And then find out it was a scam. HAHA.

We'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this "Free $500 Gift Card From H&M" ain't real. :(

Let us break down why:

1. Big brands (and little brands) aren't as charitable as you think. They won't be giving you free vouchers without you doing anything for them. You're not spending on them, so they won't spend on you. You might have to spend above a certain amount; say, RM200 and they might give you something like a RM20 voucher. If they really want to give away free stuff, they'll most likely roll out a competition and choose a few lucky winners.

2. The gift voucher amount says $. What currency is that?! USD? SGD? AUD? Because in Malaysia, it's RM. Are you seriously going to be redeeming a free USD 500 voucher? That's RM1,648 according to xe.com's exchange rate.

3. Always consider the website name. If brands wanted to make an offer, announce their contests, and let customers know what's up, they'll put it on their own website or Facebook Page - or at least direct you to an official brand page of theirs. So unless the competition was coming from www.hm.com.my/contest or www.hm.com.my/freegiftcards, you might want to think twice before clicking that link. The links mentioned are for illustration purposes only.

4. H&M won't be the only brand used to scam you into clicking and sharing on Facebook. Vouchers for Apple made its rounds previously, and a Zara one is making rounds now too. So be wise, and don't waste your time.