What is a "plus-size" model and how big should she be?

PLUS Model Magazine and SWAK, a plus-size designs boutique decided to find out. In an experiment, they took two pictures of model Alex LaRosa modeling a tight dress; with one photo highlighting her size and another downplaying it with a more conservative pose and outfit. They posted it on Facebook with the caption asking readers to vote for the photo they preferred.

Post by Sealed with a Kiss Designs Plus Size Boutique.

Surprisingly, PLUS Model Magazine reported that "the voting was split in the middle with half of the votes for the bold, curvy pose and the other half going for the more conservative look." The outcome, writes blog editor Marcy Cruz, were surprising: "We naturally thought Pic A would win in a landslide since it shows Alex rocking her curves proudly."

The models who bear the "plus-size" designation tend to be a size 12 or 14. But what about those who are size 22 or 24? Where do they fit in? Do real "plus" models exist?

In her editor's note for PLUS Model Magazine's January 2014 issue, Madeline Jones wrote:
"The HOT TOPIC is model sizes. I'm a size 22/24 woman and I find it very difficult to shop online because most of the models are very small. Years ago when I started my career in this industry there were models size 18 in campaigns and on the cover of catalogs. As the brands continue to compete for our dollars and mainstream acceptance, they have been hiring and asking the modeling agencies for smaller and smaller models. There are brands that do not use plus size models at all and occassionally will use a size 10 or 12."
Many plus-size shoppers actually do want to see more representative body types. A 2013 survey conducted by PLUS Model Magazine found that a whopping 91.4 percent of respondents would prefer to see plus-size models larger than a size 12 in ads and magazines, and 94.8 percent of women said they don't consider sizes 6, 8 and 10 models to be representative of the plus-size market.

So in essence, plus-size shoppers want to see models who reflect them. Do you think the fashion industry should employ bigger plus size models?