People buy cars for all sorts of reasons. Some buy them to drive their families around, whereas others prefer style over function. A few people spend years saving up the cash to buy their dream car.

I don’t know about you, but I’d like to buy an original Ford Mustang! I used to think that buying such an iconic classic would cost stupid amounts of money. But it turns out that buying a ‘stang is within my reach!

flickr

There are many reasons why it can be cool to buy an old but popular performance car. Here are some of those reasons (not that you need justification or anything):

The nostalgic factor

There are plenty of classic performance cars that many petrolheads have always dreamt of owning! For many people, those classics were brand new when they were growing up.

Let’s face it; we only have a limited amount of time on Earth. Many people will have to spend most of their lives working. Everyone needs to own or do something they live to fix the work-play balance in their lives.

Buying a performance classic car is one way to do so. The nostalgic factor can also be good for our mental health as well, believe it or not. Bringing back happy memories of times when we were younger is good for maintaining general happiness in our lives.

They are affordable now

Did the car of your dreams cost a small fortune many years ago? The good news is that most of them are now affordable enough for you to buy! Just because a car is old doesn’t mean that it has lost its “wow” factor!

In fact, classic performance cars are a bit like fine wines. They get better as they age! As I mentioned earlier, my dream is to own a classic Ford Mustang like the one pictured at the beginning of this blog post.

Your dream car might be something different, such as the Chevrolet Corvette. Whatever your preference, you will now be able to afford one. And what’s great is that many classics have had the restoration treatment by their current owners, so they look just like new!

Some classic performance cars make good investments

Usually, I would not tell people to buy cars as an investment. Car dealers like Motorpoint will tell you that all cars depreciate. But after ten or so years, the value of cars stabilise and depreciation isn’t much of an issue.

If you buy a true classic, such as one that’s thirty years old, you might find that the value of the car rises rather than falls!

For those of you that want to buy classic cars as investments, you should check out which models appreciate in value.

They can make good weekend projects

I know that most of us lead busy lives. But when you’ve got free time on the weekend, you could spend some of that time restoring a classic performance car to its former glory!

Got a story about your classic car? Do tell us in the comments section below. Thanks for reading!