The Internet basically went ape shit last week when Ben Affleck was announced to play Batman in the Man of Steel sequel. Some crazy comic book aficionados even went on to submit a petition to the White House to make it illegal for Affleck to play the character.

Matt Damon is standing by his longtime friend. During a recent interview with The Times of India, the actor said his friend would make a "terrific" Batman:
"I think it will be great. It will be terrific. I know there are a lot of people grousing on the internet. I just think it's kind of funny. You know, he's not playing King Lear. It's Batman! Certainly within his skill set.

If anybody saw Argo or The Town, and all the work he's been doing lately, it's way more nuanced and interesting and way more difficult than Batman! Batman just sits there with his cowl over his head and whispers in a kinda gruff voice at people. Bruce Wayne is the more challenging part of the role, and Ben will be great at that."
He of course said he wouldn't be playing Robin. Yes, that would require a petition we're sure.