The Human Torch must have really believed in reincarnation. How else can you explain why this 3-month-old infant in India keeps bursting into flames for no apparent reason.
According to Newser
, the baby named Rahul has had at least four incidents where he broke into flames. The first time it happened, he was just nine days old and the villagers thought his mother Rajeswari, was to blame.
She and her family were subsequently ostracized, but the mother found her baby burning at least three more times. The infant is currently hospitalized in a pediatric intensive care unit for his extensive burn injuries, and doctors have been determined that he
suffers from Spontaneous Human Combustion (SHC).
“The body burns spontaneously due to combustible gases emitting from the patient’s body, without any external source of ignition,” said Dr. R. Narayana Babu, the head of the pediatrics department at Kilpauk. “Clothes and other things nearby that are inflammable may also catch fire.”
There have been only 200 confirmed cases of SHC reported in the world in the last 300 years. In order to help prevent any further incidents, a bucket of water and fire extinguisher are at the ready next to little Rahul’s bedside. Here's hoping he recovers soon.