Currently taking place in Chennai, India, the match sees current world champion Viswanathan Anand taking on Norwegian Magnus Carlsen, who is currently the highest-rated player in the world.

At 22-years-old, Carlsen is the young prodigy going up against 43-year-old Anand. The pair are playing a best-of-12 series. World famous chessplayer Garry Kasparov explains why a victory for Carlsen would be a huge victory for all of chess:
Anand is a fantastic chessplayer who brings honor to the sport and to his nation with his skill and his boundless good nature. If he wins this match his high place on chess Olympus is assured. I am predicting a Carlsen victory because of his talent, his results, and the tides of chess history. I am rooting for a Carlsen victory because a new generation deserves a new champion. Most of all, I am hoping for big games, a hard fight, and a great boost for chess around the world as a legend and a legend in the making do battle in Chennai.
But things are not looking good. They've already played two short games already in which both ended in a draw. If neither side has won a majority of games, a series of tiebreaker games will have to be played.

And this is pretty much on of the biggest problems with chess: even when it's played at the highest levels, it's still super boring.

[Chessvibes]