Katy Perry told Marie Claire about how she dealt with her emotional breakup with Russell Brand. “There were two weeks of my life after I found out the truth of my marriage where I was like, ‘OK. All right. I can’t feel this. This is too intense right now.’ I was, like, just eating Flamin’ Hot Cheetos and drinking, and that’s it…”

This reaction is something most of us can relate to - many women turn to food during bad times. That, or the extreme opposite where they completely lose their appetite and waif away. But if you are the type of person who emotion-eats, here are some other coping methods you could try instead.

Be Aware of Your Actions
Christie Hartman, Ph.D., a dating and relationship expert based in Colorado, suggests eliminating snacks from your home if you have the tendency to reach for certain foods when you go through a difficult period. That way you won't have any temptation lying around the house.

Talk To Someone
Sometimes all you need is someone to talk to - not to solve your problems, but to let it all out. When you take the time to verbally process your emotions, you might be less likely to feel the need to eat crap. This doesn't mean you'll need to see a therapist forever - but a few sessions with a therapist could help loads. Or if you have trusted friends or family who will lend you an ear, confide in them.

Do Things That Makes You Feel Good
It could be outdoor activities, watching TV, exploring flea markets, or even exercise. It's different for everyone. Do an activity that comforts you so that you're much less likely to seek out comfort in food.