It’s no secret that we all like to save money where we can. Life is expensive, so wherever we can, most of us like to pinch a few pennies. Like a lot of moms, I am always looking for ways to cut costs and make budgeting more effective.

Because of this, when it comes to saving money, I know what I’m talking about. Something I’ve found over the years is that my smartphone is one of the very best tools for saving money. Want to know why smartphones are such crucial tools when it comes to saving money (and how you can use yours to save money)? Then keep reading, as all is about to be revealed.

Image from Pixabay

Smartphones can make travel cheaper

If you’re someone who travels a lot, then you may already use your smartphone to cut travel costs. If not, the key to using your phone to cut travel costs is apps.

Say, for instance, you want to cut the cost of your plane tickets, apps like Google, which has a built in flight planner, and Skyscanner can be useful. Skyscanner is great because it allows you to compare the flight costs of different dates, times, and companies. Thus letting you work out the cheapest option.

Or, for example, say you want to make getting to and from the airport cheaper. You could opt to use apps like Uber and Lyft to find travel buddies who you could car share with. To learn more about this, check out http://cruzapp.com and have a browse. It’s resources like this that can be highly beneficial when it comes to planning your travel.

Helps you track your bills

A lot of the time, bills are so expensive because we don’t keep an eye on what we’re spending.

Take our energy usage, for instance, very few of us actually track what we’re spending until we get a bill in our mailbox. However, if you download your energy provider’s app, you can track your energy usage in real time. So that you know how much energy you are using and when - this makes cutting down your usage a little easier.

Many smartphones can now be linked up to smart appliances like cookers, dishwashers, and washing machines. Although this won’t directly save you money, being able to access your appliances via your smartphone can do. Say, for instance, you leave your house and forget your tumble dryer is on, wasting energy, you can use an app on your smartphone to turn it off.

Deal and discount apps

Do you do a lot of shopping online? If so, you should be taking advantage of deal and discount apps. There are various deal and discount apps that you can download onto your phone and use to save you money. These apps can help you to save money on anything and everything. From the cost of your weekly food shop to the price of a holiday, there are various deals and discounts to choose from.

As well as deals and discounts, there are also apps that offer cashback. When shopping for certain items via these apps, you can get a percentage of the money back that you pay, via the app. So, for example, say you chose to buy an item of clothing that has a cashback offer on it of 50 percent. Once you have paid for it, you would then receive half of what you paid back. (Often it’s less than 50 percent cashback, but even so, it’s still worth doing!)

There you have it, the little ways your smartphone could save you money.