Zaha Hadid's new World Cup stadium might have taken a beating due to its resemblance to a large vagina, but the architect is now back in the headlines following reports over the a staggering number of deaths linked to the construction.

Currently, more than 500 Indian migrant workers have died at the site since January 2012. But it was Hadid's response to the problem that really raised a lot of eyebrows. 

While speaking at the opening of the London Aquatic Centre, Hadid not only shrugged off the idea that she might be held accountable for the deaths, but she actually tried to pin the blame solely on Qatar's government.
"I have nothing to do with the workers," said Hadid. "I think that's an issue the government—if there's a problem—should pick up. Hopefully, these things will be resolved."

Asked if she was concerned, Hadid added: "Yes, but I'm more concerned about the deaths in Iraq as well, so what do I do about that? I'm not taking it lightly but I think it's for the government to look to take care of. It's not my duty as an architect to look at it.

"I cannot do anything about it because I have no power to do anything about it. I think it's a problem anywhere in the world. But, as I said, I think there are discrepancies all over the world."
We get it that construction accidents and deaths are a tragic part of architecture, but implementing better tools and safety regulations could still help prevent loss of life. It makes you almost wonder why is she even designing buildings in places that she knows will place certain workers in unsafe conditions?

[The Guardian]