Art is highly subjective, and not everyone considers spending a few hours at a museum worth their while. But what if a little "brain zap" could make viewing art more intriguing?

To explore this, neurologist Zaira Cattaneo decided to conduct a small experiment at the University of Milan-Bicocca in Italy. The experiment had to do with neuroaesthetics, which involves the study of how the brain reacts to aesthetic elements.

Six males and six females were hooked up to electrodes that deliver a small current to the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC), a brain area involved in processing emotion. Some volunteers also received mock treatment with no current released.

The participants were then shown paintings from the realism, impressionism and post-impressionism periods, as well as abstract paintings, decorative sketches and photography. Those that were zapped had a more positive rating to classic art while their reaction to abstract art did not change.

According to Cattaneo, the brain zap process is similar to "connecting the brain with a battery," where the low density current induces a tingly or itchy sensation.

"My first master degree was in Philosophy, and I have always been fascinated by the concept of beauty, starting with Plato. I wanted to combine this old curiosity with neuroscience," said Cattaneo in an email to Mashable.

[Newscientist]