Remember Maria Kang, the 32-year-old, fitness-obsessed mom who posted a picture of herself with her three kids with the caption "what's your excuse?" on Facebook. She's back in the news again after being banned from the social network for shaming fat people.

The reason for the ban was that Kang was ranting about the Curvy Girl lingerie campaign, which featured curvy ladies modeling in their underwear. She then wrote about how she was "annoyed" by "news stories about how overweight, nearly obese women should be proud of their bodies." Her words, not ours.
"We need to change this strange mentality we are breeding in the U.S. and start celebrating people who are a result of hard work, dedication and discipline." It's incredibly sad that she equates obesity with a lack of discipline. Plenty of hard-working, dedicated people are overweight or obese. Kang has obviously never read any books by Steven N. Blair, exercise scientist and one of the leading researchers in the field, who says, "Can someone be fat and fit? Yes." Blair believes exercise is incredibly important. He runs every day. But he's not skinny. He says: "I often tell people that I was short, fat and bald when I started running, but after running nearly every day for more than thirty years and covering 70,000 miles ... I am still short, fat and bald. But I suspect I'm in much better health than if I had been sedentary."
Kang also claims that she is "not bashing those who are proud and overweight." and that "I am empowering those who are proud and healthy to come out and be the real role models in our society."
"I am motivated by constant body (fat) acceptance campaigns strewn all over the internet followed by comments with the context of 'you go girl!' and 'more power to you!' The popular and unrelenting support received to those who are borderline obese (not just 30-40lbs overweight) frustrates me as a fitness advocate who intimately understands how poor health negatively effects a family, a community and a nation."
Obviously, people were pretty sick with having to deal with her health nazi rants, so she eventually got banned from Facebook. Here's her response to the ban:

Kang then goes on to write about her struggles with bulimia and how deeply her mother's diabetes affected her. She even posted a picture of herself crying at her wedding because her mother was in the hospital, and wrote, "Obesity effects a family, not just the person."

We really want to sympathize with Kang, since it's pretty obvious that weight, food and body image are emotional, complicated topics for her and she is still working through a lot of issues. But lashing out at others and talking shit about women just because they don't look like you might not be the best way to win any fans.