Remember that adorable little girl from Matilda? And Mrs. Doubtfire? And A Simple Wish? Well she's all grown up and totally different from the child you once knew from the big screen. For one, she transitioned brilliantly into adulthood in a way that most female child stars struggle to (Miley, Amanda, Lindsay...). Secondly, well, she sounds different.

Mara Wilson made a name for herself when she starred in Danny Devito's 1996 film "Matilda" and "Mrs. Doubtfire." Now, at 26, she is a prolific writer and tweeter.

Wilson joins video blogger Laci Green in the latest installment of her Sex+ series to talk about sex education, first times, and growing up in the entertainment industry. "It's important to accept sex as a part of life, and as a positive part of life," Wilson told Green.

"There is a lot of casual sexism that I encountered growing up, and that I kind of internalized," she admitted. "I look back on some things and I realize, 'that wasn't right. That was really disturbing.'"

Wilson was once reluctant to call herself a feminist -- a label she now fully embraces. "For a while, I did the 'I'm not a feminist, I'm a humanist' thing. But it's not about hating men -- it's about judging women for their actions, rather than their gender or their appearance or things like that."

She also offered some sound advice on how to know if you're ready to have sex with someone: "I think you really need to check in with yourself, you need to feel safe and you need to feel desire. You need to be able to communicate with them."

Very wise, Wilson. We're glad you turned out this way.

Watch her conversation with Green in the video below:

Image via