Somewhere in Queensland, Australia, is a 7-year old girl named Sophie Lester who wanted something spectacular for Christmas. And she probably knew Santa wouldn't have been able to put this gift under her Christmas tree, so she wrote to the national science agency CSIRO asking for a dragon of her own.

Sophie's letter and the agency's response are so adorable it'll put a smile on your face:

Hello Lovely Scientist

My name is Sophie and I am 7 years old. My dad told me about the scientists at the CSIRO. Would it be possible if you can make a dragon for me. I would like it if you could but if you can't thats fine.

I would call it toothless if it was a girl and if it is a boy I would name it Stuart.

I would keep it in my special green grass area where there are lots of space. I would feed it raw fish and I would put a collar on it. If it got hurt I would bandage it if it hurt himself. I would play with it every weekend when there is no school.

Love from Sophie

She even included a drawing behind the letter! CSIRO responded to Sophie's letter and drawing on their website, saying:
We've been doing science since 1926 and we're quite proud of what we have achieved. We've put polymer banknotes in your wallet, insect repellent on your limbs and Wi-Fi in your devices. But we've missed something.

There are no dragons.

Over the past 87 odd years we have not been able to create a dragon or dragon eggs. We have sighted an eastern bearded dragon at one of our telescopes, observed dragonflies and even measured body temperatures of the mallee dragon. But our work has never ventured into dragons of the mythical, fire breathing variety.

And for this Australia, we are sorry.
The organization also suggested that, for the time being, Sophie can instead admire "the brood of Daenerys Targaryen." But perhaps Sophie would like to wait many more years for that, seeing as the series is 90% boobs.

A sweeter touch would have been if CSIRO sent Sophie a toy dragon or something, like how NASA responds to curious children.