KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 26  — Penang slipped away from Barisan Nasional’s (BN) clutches because of the ruling coalition’s own success at developing a generation of critical-minded voters, Datuk Seri Najib Razak said today.

Labeling this “irony”, the prime minister insisted that it was the ruling pact that had contributed greatly to the intellectual development of Penangites, which eventually turned voters there into BN’s biggest critics.

“Ironically, Penang is an obstacle because of the successes of BN. Why I say that? It is because of we contributed to not only to the economic but intellectual and values development of the younger generation.

“Politics of development can no longer be the main thrust. To put it simple, we have become the victim of our own success,” Najib told the Gerakan annual general meeting here.

Gerakan was the main BN component party that led Penang for 30 years before a “political tsunami” in 2008 ousted the Tan Sri Koh Tsu Koon administration and replace it with the DAP.

Najib then said it was due to this "own success" that BN must now adapt to the changing political landscape.

He said that BN under his leadership has already embarked on a "transformation path", citing as reference the political and economic reforms undertaken by his administration.

"[It is] Because of this that we must make changes. That is why I made transformation actions," he said.

But critics have questioned Najib's seriousness for reforms as his government was seen as having back-peddled on several key pledges, including backtracking on his vow to open up the economy to more non-Malay participation and improve civil liberties.

Recently, the prime minister announced the return of race-based affirmative action policy in the New Bumiputera Economic Empowerment Agenda and also introduced laws that would restore the state's preventive powers in a move seen as pandering to conservative demands.

Analysts said Najib's sudden hardline stance was merely aimed at averting a potential challenge to his position at the party polls but to the prime minister's critics, this was a reflection of his weak leadership and indecisiveness, particularly when dealing with issues concerning Malaysia's growing polarisation.

But the prime minister insisted today that his government was right on track towards genuine transformation and that despite the hiccups, what matters most is that BN has begun to initiate reforms.

"It has started. Of course it cannot show its full potential. Transformation will take time. What is important is to start. And we must believe that we are on the right track and don't stop until we are there," he said.

Najib also maintained that his government has never tolerated racist politics and pledged to keep BN a centrist coalition.

"That is why BN will always maintain as a moderate and fair coalition. And we will reject any form of communal and extreme politics. As long as I am BN chairman and prime minister, I will maintain this line," he said.