BMW has lifted the veils to reveal its all new i8 plug-in hybrid sports car. It is the second production model of its i sub-brand following the i3 electric.

The 2+2 seater features a LifeDrive architecture developed for BMW-i. The life module passenger cell is made from carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) drive system technology, high voltage battery, chassis and crash and structural functions integrated into the architecture of the car.

BMW calls this the "sports car of the future" and it has a plug-in hybrid system consisting of a 1.5 liter 3 cylinder twin turbocharged petrol engine developing 228hp and 320Nm of torque that drives the rear wheels via a 6 speed automatic gearbox and a synchronous electric motor developing 96kW and 250Nm of torque. The hybrid setup is completed by a 5 kWh lithium-ion high-voltage battery with liquid cooling.

The combined system output is 357hp and 570Nm of torque and sprints from 0 to 100km/h in 4.4 seconds and reaches a top speed of 250km/h.

It returns an unreal 2.5 l/100 km (113 mpg UK, 94 mpg US). The i8 can travel up to 35km (22 miles) on electric power alone up to a speed of 120 km/h (75mph), with combined range exceeding 500 km (310 miles).