Parafin wax candles, mainly used for romantic ambiance, fragrance and light, may be causing air pollution inside your home.

Says Yahoo news:
The candles, which are made from petroleum, are a source of known human carcinogens and indoor pollution, researchers said in a study to be presented Wednesday at the American Chemical Society's national meeting in Washington, D.C. 

In the study, R. Massoudi and Amid Hamidi found that candles made from beeswax or soy, although more expensive, apparently are safer because they do not release potentially harmful pollutants.

"An occasional parafin candle and its emissions will not likely afffect you," Hamidi stated. "But lighting many parafin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems."

The researchers add that ventilation can help reduce the level of polutants in enclosed rooms. Hamidi added that some people who believe they have an indoor allergy or respiratory irritations may actually be the reaction to pollutants from burning candles.

[via Yahoo]