Science Explains The Reason Behind "Resting Bitch Face"
Feb 05, 2016 12:56
It turns out, resting bitchy face does have a scientific explanation to it. So before you start getting all riled up because of how someone looks, know that everything can be explained and that you should probably not judge them too much.
Two behavioral researchers from Noldus Information Technology, Jason Rogers and Abbe Macbeth, decided to do a little research on the topic.
They used Noldus’s FaceReader, mapping more than 500 points on the human face, to identify what features cause RBF. There are 8 basic emotions: happiness, sadness, anger, fear, surprise, disgust, contempt, and neutral.
Before starting, they had to establish a baseline with a group of expressionless faces which registered 97% in neutrality. The remaining 3% contained “little blips of emotion” but nothing significant.
Then they used faces of well known people with RBF such as Kristen Stewart, Kanye West, and Queen Elizabeth. The neutrality dropped to 94%. “The big change in percentage came from ‘contempt,’” Macbeth said. It was caused by having one side of the lip pulled back slightly. Or squinting the eyes.
“Something in the neutral expression of the face is relaying contempt, both to the software and to us,” said Macbeth. They also found that RBF is generally associated with women, Kanye West being one of the few male exceptions.
If you leave home for an office each day, you’re going to need to take a lot of items with you; a laptop, files, lunch, phone and accessories, makeup, wallet, even a spare set of clothes if you’re heading out to a bar or the gym when you’re done. So, a roomy work bag is a necessity. That work bag doesn’t have to be a standard leather briefcase, though. You don’t have to be the same as everyone else – these gorgeous alternatives will give you a fashion edge, as well as being perfectly practical. Read more
If you’re a regular gym user, you won’t have failed to notice how most – if not all – of the other people working out around you are listening to music. You probably do it too. What is it about music, though that makes a work out so much more palatable? What does it do to our brains – and our bodies – to help us push through? Read more
When I watched Field of Dreams, the quote I left that movie with was "If you build it they will come." Once the baseball field was built, the ghosts found it. When the World Wide Web was new, that was fairly true. Since the mid-1990's, there has been tremendous and explosive growth in the web. Consider for a moment: there are an estimated 612 million websites in the world, but only 185 million websites are active according to TechLogon.com. Read more