9 Struggles If You're a Banana in a Very Chinese Family During CNY
Feb 02, 2016 16:39
If you grew up in a predominantly or completely English speaking
environment, this time of the year is going to be tough for you since
there's a high chance your extended family is going to be speaking in
dialect. Here are struggles only the banana generation will understand,
especially during Chinese New Year.
1. The only Chinese you can speak is Gong Xi Fa Cai
Beyond that, you're hopeless! And your family knows it. And this happens.
So..that was quick.
2. When wanting to eat something, you can't remember what it's called
Thankfully you can still point.
3. This is the time when you get ridiculed the most for not being able to speak Chinese
4. You pretend you understand what people are saying, but you don't
You nod. A lot.
And utter whatever that comes to mind.
5. You can't watch a classic Chinese movie without subtitles, because God-help-you
6. They laugh at how you pronounce words, and speak to you in English instead because they don't want to alienate you
Total mockery of you. This is your story.
7. You might feel ashamed and alone because you can't join in a conversation
It sucks being left out.
8. Conversations with you tend to end faster
They just don't want you to explain again, because they don't understand you.
9. When you try to say something, it actually ends up meaning something else.
If you leave home for an office each day, you’re going to need to take a lot of items with you; a laptop, files, lunch, phone and accessories, makeup, wallet, even a spare set of clothes if you’re heading out to a bar or the gym when you’re done. So, a roomy work bag is a necessity. That work bag doesn’t have to be a standard leather briefcase, though. You don’t have to be the same as everyone else – these gorgeous alternatives will give you a fashion edge, as well as being perfectly practical. Read more
If you’re a regular gym user, you won’t have failed to notice how most – if not all – of the other people working out around you are listening to music. You probably do it too. What is it about music, though that makes a work out so much more palatable? What does it do to our brains – and our bodies – to help us push through? Read more
When I watched Field of Dreams, the quote I left that movie with was "If you build it they will come." Once the baseball field was built, the ghosts found it. When the World Wide Web was new, that was fairly true. Since the mid-1990's, there has been tremendous and explosive growth in the web. Consider for a moment: there are an estimated 612 million websites in the world, but only 185 million websites are active according to TechLogon.com. Read more