Teaching manners to your children gives them the tools to function and succeed as adults. Ann Marie Sabath, author of Business Etiquette: 101 Ways to Conduct Business with Charm and Savvy, says that children should know these ten rules of etiquette.
1. How to Dine When invited to a pre-arranged meal, always use your utensils from the "outside in." After all, utensils are set in the order that food will be served.
2. Telephone Manners When calling a friend, identify yourself to the person who answers the phone before asking to speak your friend. By doing so, the parents or other family member who answer the phone will appreciate this courtesy and see you as friendly.
3. On Correspondence Anytime it takes someone more than 15 minutes to do something for you, send the person a thank-you note. By doing so, the person will know you really appreciated what was done for you.
4. Be Gracious When you are sent an invitation that requires an RSVP, be sure to let the person know if you will be able to go to the gathering. After all, "RSVP" means "respond if you please."
5. Shoes Are Important When getting dressed each day, be sure that your shoes are well-maintained. People associate the way you take care of your shoes with the way you handle detail in the rest of your life.
6. Be Open to New Foods When you are invited out to eat and are served a food that is not your favorite, try a piece of it anyway. You may be surprised and find that you end up liking it.
7. Ask Questions When talking with friends and family, always make a point of asking them questions about themselves. People will see you as interesting if you are interested in them.
8. At the Table When eating a roll, be sure to break off a bite-sized piece at a time. No bread-and-butter sandwiches, please.
9. Be Friendly When you are in school, be cool by making a point to talk with that new kid in your class. If the tables were turned, wouldn't that make you feel good?
10. The Rule of Twelve When talking with others, always use a form of thanks and the person's name in the first 12 words you speak ("It's good to see you, Mary," or "Thanks for picking me up from soccer, Dad.") By following this rule of 12, people will want to continue to do nice things for you.
In conjunction with our Parenting Issue, do check out one of our sponsor's ads on the front page or here for more parenting tips.
Celebrities love wearing wide-leg pants, because they are comfortable and fashionable. Actually, these pants are a classic clothing item that can get you out of trouble on multiple occasions, when you do not know what to wear. People are usually associating the wide-leg pants with the hippie trend. But they can be worn for multiple events, not only at a beach party. When it comes to wide-leg pants, it is crucial to find a pair that compliments your hips and waist. Read more
The sea has a romantic appeal that is hard to experience elsewhere. Setting sail aboard a luxury liner on the high seas can be one of the most fulfilling experiences. And there can be no better time than the year end vacation. The mood of festivities in the air and the lengthy vacation are probably the best time to take trip onboard luxury liners. And a destination that is equally appealing and thrilling like the North Pole will take the vacation to the next level. Here is how you can make the most of your vacation. Read more
If you’ve dreamt of becoming an artist ever since you were young, it’s not too late. You may be thinking you have no idea where to start. That’s normal with any career, but especially with the art world. Read more