What is the best decision if you need to create an additional living space in your house? Building a second floor and a new roof? No! Remodeling the basement is an affordable solution in case if you want to increase the amount of living space in your house. It may house a few bedrooms or become a recreation center for the entire family!
Natural lighting can be substituted with bright colors and a plenty of warm lamps. However, rebuilding a basement is quite a problematic process. You need to think of several obstacles. But with these tips, you will have all the instruments to perfect your basement living space!
1. Moisture Control. If basement walls are not sealed properly during construction, they will have a tendency to absorb ground water. As well, this process may stem from walls’ cracking due to settling or soil movement. This may result in high humidity to standing water. For the beginning, you need to repair leaks and take necessary measurements to prevent future water problems. You may also need to direct groundwater away from basement walls.
2. Framing. The main difference between aboveground and basement framing is that you have to consider moisture damage as a serious threat. Furring out, a process that involves attaching treated studs directly to concrete walls provides a frame on which you can hang drywall or paneling. Due to this, basement walls are usually constructed in place. Every stud should be measured, cut, and fitted individually after you install the floor and ceiling plates.
3. Ceiling. We recommend using a drop ceiling that features a grid and lightweight acoustical panels. They are easy to remove if you need access to electrical, plumbing, and ductwork. You will also need to attach extended framing beneath the existing joists to hold the weight of light fixtures or heavy vents. As standard drop ceiling tiles are 2-feet by 4-feet (which can overwhelm small rooms), you can order smaller tiles to improve the general look.
4. Plumbing. In most cases, the contractors make provisions for future bathrooms by installing plumbing “stubs”. Plan to locate a new bathroom over the stubs, which is indicated by a round closet flange set in the concrete to accommodate a commode, a 2-inch pipe that extends about a foot above the floor for the sink. There should also be a square filled with sand, which contains a buried drain for a future tub or shower.
5. Electrical and Ductwork. Electrical wiring, in general, is regulated by local building codes. Therefore, some areas will only allow a certified electrician to run the wires. Electrical outlets on interior walls of a basement install the same way as they do aboveground – by drilling through the wall studs and running wires to the outlets and switches. However, on exterior furred-out walls, you need to plan to run the wires along the ceiling joists, as the studs are flat against the wall.
Summer season is just round the corner. During this time, the first thing that you need to ensure is that your air conditioner is in its working condition. If you had to spend the entire summer season without an AC at home, life can become unbearable for you. This is especially for the old and ill people. There are many people who tend to ignore the need to service their AC once before the summer season. As a result of this, they have to bear the heat. This can easily be avoided if you are careful enough and took proper care of your air conditioner. Read more
Walls play a crucial in home décor. They have the power to influence your home’s look and feel. With evolving preferences of homeowners, today we have almost innumerable wall painting design options available at our disposal. You can design your home walls using customized textures. These wall textures help you achieve your home décor goals while providing your home with a distinguished character. Read more
When it comes to interior design, trends can come and go. It can often be hard to keep up with these trends and many people find themselves redecorating their homes and commercial spaces multiple times over the years. Of course, there are some easy ways to stay on top of these trends including interior design blogs and social media. Read more