Researcher Died After Infected From A Deadly Bacteria He Was Working On
May 05, 2012 16:29
Here's the scary part about working with dangerous viruses. There's always a fear of contracting it and dying from it. A young researcher from San Francisco has died after being infected by a highly virulent strain of meningococcal disease he was studying.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced that it suspects Richard Din, 25, became fatally infected with an agent from his own laboratory. A biopsy sample from Din is now being tested to confirm the news, reports the Guardian.
Din's research was focussed on developing a vaccine to protect against the incredibly dangerous bacterium called Neisseria meningitidis—a strain of bacteria that causes meningococcal disease, and leads to meningitis and bloodstream infections.
Dozens of people—including relatives, friends and co-workers—are being provided with antibiotics as a precaution. Din died less than a day after falling ill so lets hope this doesn't become an epidemic. [The Guardian]
Apple's latest flagship phones don't have much or any change in physical appearance when you look at them compared to the last models, but it looks like it might just be...secretly water resistant. Here's the water test. Check it out: Read more
Halfway watching this, I forgot that it was a camera test. But really, all those moments that would have made great videos or photos involving water fights can now be a reality. Watch the test below: Read more
This year has seen the introduction of a handful of Bitcoin debit cards to the market; A welcome innovation which provide an easy way for users to spend the digital cryptocurrency with ease in the real, physical world. Different card providers operate around the world; Cryptopay provides users in the UK and Europe with Bitcoin services, which include their newly released Bitcoin debit card. Read more