Researcher Died After Infected From A Deadly Bacteria He Was Working On
May 05, 2012 16:29
Here's the scary part about working with dangerous viruses. There's always a fear of contracting it and dying from it. A young researcher from San Francisco has died after being infected by a highly virulent strain of meningococcal disease he was studying.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced that it suspects Richard Din, 25, became fatally infected with an agent from his own laboratory. A biopsy sample from Din is now being tested to confirm the news, reports the Guardian.
Din's research was focussed on developing a vaccine to protect against the incredibly dangerous bacterium called Neisseria meningitidis—a strain of bacteria that causes meningococcal disease, and leads to meningitis and bloodstream infections.
Dozens of people—including relatives, friends and co-workers—are being provided with antibiotics as a precaution. Din died less than a day after falling ill so lets hope this doesn't become an epidemic. [The Guardian]
Like sleeping alone but like the warmth of another human being to cuddle? Then you're in luck because Thanko's Raremono shop is selling a perfectly-heated, 36 °C warm body pillow for you to hug. Read more
Not many people understand how a mechanical camera works, but the concept is just this - its metal shutter passes over the lens to allow light to enter the moment the shutter button is pressed. The Slow Mo Guys decided to show off just how fast this process is. Read more
If natives had this laser assisted blowgun, things would be very different. For one, accuracy would improve a whole lot, making things way too scary. Here's how you can build one. But be warned: this is dangerous! Read more