Stretching your muscles will loosen them before you run of partake in any form of exercise or sport. When you incorporate correct stretching techniques, it helps your body become flexible, increases the mobility of your joints, improves your circulation, posture and the range of movements of your limbs and joints, prevent injuries that usually occur while weight training or performing other exercises or sports, and it relieves stress.
According to recent research, it has been proven that a flexible body is less prone to soreness in the muscles after intense exercise. The research has established that less flexible, stiff muscles have a tendency of sustaining damage in the muscle fiber. This only underlines the importance of incorporating muscle stretching exercises in your workout routine, or in your daily life. However, before you get down to actually doing the stretching exercises given below, here are a few stretching techniques you need to keep in mind.
• Before stretching muscles or joints, it is important to warm them up by doing some kind of light cardio exercise, like walking on the treadmill or riding a stationary bike for about 5 minutes.
• Breathe normally while doing your stretching exercises. Never hold your breath when in the stretch.
• Stretching muscles or joints to the point of pain should be avoided, because this can result in injuring delicate connective tissues.
• During the stretch, it is important to keep your mind focused on the group of muscles being stretched.
• Do your stretching exercises in gentle and slow movements. Never use forceful, bouncy moves as this will injure tissues and joints.
• Perform your stretching exercises both before your workout, to prepare your body for the intense activity, as well as after it, as a way of cooling down. Stretching muscles after an intense workout, whether with weights or a cardio session, can be very soothing and relaxing.
• One of the most fundamental stretching techniques is to hold your stretch for 10 to 15 seconds. While some people do recommend holding stretches for longer durations, there is no extra benefit derived from it, and it can sometimes even lead to over stretching tendons and joints.
Through stretching you will be able to maintain your exercises for a longer period. Remember to stretch when you run, especially for long distance running.
This post was brought to you by Nike. Join the fun and help Kuala Lumpur win! For
every kilometer you sync with Nike+, from now until 31st October, it
will contribute to Kuala Lumpur’s standing in the KL vs SG Challenge.
The city with the most kilometers will win a USD$ 30,000 donation from Nike for their respective
charities. Check out Nike for more details, or participate in the online challenge here.
There are a few great exercises that will actually help you to transform your body. Although these exercises are effective in strengthening your body along with burning calories, you still need to eat healthy and get enough of rest. Waste no time doing other workouts, here are 7 exercises that will help you to reach your fitness goal. Read more
There is simply no such thing as removing fat from specific problem areas because fats are not localized. Thus, no matter what type of exercise gadget you're using, and no matter what type of exercise is prescribed, you will never be able to spot reduction. Here are 5 facts that you should know about your problem areas: Read more
Going on a diet is a big step to take, but it can be very challenging. If your sacrifices aren’t gaining positive results, it’s very easy to fall back into the old routine. Rather than giving up, you should find a way to speed up your progress. Read more