Stretching your muscles will loosen them before you run of partake in any form of exercise or sport. When you incorporate correct stretching techniques, it helps your body become flexible, increases the mobility of your joints, improves your circulation, posture and the range of movements of your limbs and joints, prevent injuries that usually occur while weight training or performing other exercises or sports, and it relieves stress.
According to recent research, it has been proven that a flexible body is less prone to soreness in the muscles after intense exercise. The research has established that less flexible, stiff muscles have a tendency of sustaining damage in the muscle fiber. This only underlines the importance of incorporating muscle stretching exercises in your workout routine, or in your daily life. However, before you get down to actually doing the stretching exercises given below, here are a few stretching techniques you need to keep in mind.
• Before stretching muscles or joints, it is important to warm them up by doing some kind of light cardio exercise, like walking on the treadmill or riding a stationary bike for about 5 minutes.
• Breathe normally while doing your stretching exercises. Never hold your breath when in the stretch.
• Stretching muscles or joints to the point of pain should be avoided, because this can result in injuring delicate connective tissues.
• During the stretch, it is important to keep your mind focused on the group of muscles being stretched.
• Do your stretching exercises in gentle and slow movements. Never use forceful, bouncy moves as this will injure tissues and joints.
• Perform your stretching exercises both before your workout, to prepare your body for the intense activity, as well as after it, as a way of cooling down. Stretching muscles after an intense workout, whether with weights or a cardio session, can be very soothing and relaxing.
• One of the most fundamental stretching techniques is to hold your stretch for 10 to 15 seconds. While some people do recommend holding stretches for longer durations, there is no extra benefit derived from it, and it can sometimes even lead to over stretching tendons and joints.
Through stretching you will be able to maintain your exercises for a longer period. Remember to stretch when you run, especially for long distance running.
This post was brought to you by Nike. Join the fun and help Kuala Lumpur win! For
every kilometer you sync with Nike+, from now until 31st October, it
will contribute to Kuala Lumpur’s standing in the KL vs SG Challenge.
The city with the most kilometers will win a USD$ 30,000 donation from Nike for their respective
charities. Check out Nike for more details, or participate in the online challenge here.
Summer is just around the corner, and everyone wants to have a killer body. But, losing weight is one of those things that can be tough for us mere mortals. We don’t have an army of personal trainers. We like to eat all the things that are ‘bad’ for us. It’s time to put fitness into perspective. If you want to lose weight and look fabulous this summer, there are some brilliant ways that you can do this. Read more
Elle Macpherson not only beautiful but also an inspiring woman with a passion for wellness. She has launched her new bio-live super healthy drink, The Super Elixir, which is designed to improve the nutrition at a cellular level. Read more
Gemma Macpherson is a certified personal trainer, Elite1 Fit Gear ambassador, and NPC Figure Competitor. She has a fitness centre named Lean Kiwi Fitness where she helps her clients achieve their health and fitness goals. She was born in New Zealand, and moved to US with her husband to turn her passion into her career. Gemma has always wanted to become a personal trainer when they first moved to America, but it wasn't the right time for her as she had a lot going on. Check out for her photos below: Read more