Stretching your muscles will loosen them before you run of partake in any form of exercise or sport. When you incorporate correct stretching techniques, it helps your body become flexible, increases the mobility of your joints, improves your circulation, posture and the range of movements of your limbs and joints, prevent injuries that usually occur while weight training or performing other exercises or sports, and it relieves stress.
According to recent research, it has been proven that a flexible body is less prone to soreness in the muscles after intense exercise. The research has established that less flexible, stiff muscles have a tendency of sustaining damage in the muscle fiber. This only underlines the importance of incorporating muscle stretching exercises in your workout routine, or in your daily life. However, before you get down to actually doing the stretching exercises given below, here are a few stretching techniques you need to keep in mind.
• Before stretching muscles or joints, it is important to warm them up by doing some kind of light cardio exercise, like walking on the treadmill or riding a stationary bike for about 5 minutes.
• Breathe normally while doing your stretching exercises. Never hold your breath when in the stretch.
• Stretching muscles or joints to the point of pain should be avoided, because this can result in injuring delicate connective tissues.
• During the stretch, it is important to keep your mind focused on the group of muscles being stretched.
• Do your stretching exercises in gentle and slow movements. Never use forceful, bouncy moves as this will injure tissues and joints.
• Perform your stretching exercises both before your workout, to prepare your body for the intense activity, as well as after it, as a way of cooling down. Stretching muscles after an intense workout, whether with weights or a cardio session, can be very soothing and relaxing.
• One of the most fundamental stretching techniques is to hold your stretch for 10 to 15 seconds. While some people do recommend holding stretches for longer durations, there is no extra benefit derived from it, and it can sometimes even lead to over stretching tendons and joints.
Through stretching you will be able to maintain your exercises for a longer period. Remember to stretch when you run, especially for long distance running.
This post was brought to you by Nike. Join the fun and help Kuala Lumpur win! For
every kilometer you sync with Nike+, from now until 31st October, it
will contribute to Kuala Lumpur’s standing in the KL vs SG Challenge.
The city with the most kilometers will win a USD$ 30,000 donation from Nike for their respective
charities. Check out Nike for more details, or participate in the online challenge here.
Gallstones can cause quite a lot of pain, irrespective whether you are passing them or still have them in your gallbladder. The reason why you feel the excruciating pain is the blocked duct and passage ways. These gall stones may differ in sizes and numbers. Read more
As people have come to use technology more and more in their daily lives, we have discovered some good and bad results. On one hand, technology like smartphones makes children more able than ever to stay in contact with their parents and get emergency assistance when needed. Read more
‘Health is wealth’ - This famous saying says it all. But in this era when we are having so busy work schedules and hectic life, its impossible to maintain a good health inspite of having an intense urge to do so. When you are faced with two situations, either to work an extra hour or head to aerobics or yoga, it becomes very tough for you to persuade yourself to do the latter, as the former one will be an add on to your productivity stride. Read more